City of London lockdown 2020 - Royal Exchange, London, United Kingdom. Architect: Sir William Tite, 1844.
|:||General view of Bank intersection with the Royal Exchange in the centre. 22 Bishopsgate rises directly behind the Royal Exchange and next to that is the Leadenhall Building. Along Cornhill the Scalpel by KPF leans away at an angle, with the Lloyd's building below it. The Bank of England is on the left and in the foreground on the right is One Cornhill, designed by J. Macvicar Anderson in 1905 with a dome. Temporary hoardings are in place as part of the pedestrianisation of Bank junction. City of London lockdown 2020 - Royal Exchange, London, United Kingdom. Architect: Sir William Tite, 1844.|
|:||5014 x 3346 pixels|
|:||City of London lockdown 2020 - Royal Exchange|
|:||City of London lockdown 2020 - Royal Exchange, London, United Kingdom. Architect: Sir William Tite, 1844.|
|:||Sir William Tite|
|:||The Royal Exchange was founded in the 16th century by the merchant Sir Thomas Gresham to act as a centre of commerce for the City of London. The site was provided by the City of London Corporation and the Worshipful Company of Mercers, who still jointly own the freehold. It is trapezoidal in shape and is flanked by Cornhill and Threadneedle Street, which converge at Bank junction in the heart of the City. The building's original design was inspired by a bourse Gresham had seen in Antwerp, the Antwerp bourse, and was Britain's first specialist commercial building. This is the third Royal Exchange building and adheres to the original layout–consisting of a four-sided structure surrounding a central courtyard where merchants and tradesmen could do business. The internal works, designed by Edward I'Anson in 1837, made use of concrete—an early example of this modern construction method. It features ornamental cast ironwork by Henry Grissell's Regent's Canal Ironworks. It was opened by Queen Victoria on 28 October 1844 though trading did not commence until 1 January 1845. The western end of the building consists of a portico of eight Corinthian columns topped by a pediment containing a tympanum with a sculptured frieze by Richard Westmacott (the younger). The central figure represents Commerce, above an inscription from the Bible: "The Earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof". Today the Royal Exchange contains a Courtyard Grand Cafe, Threadneedle Cocktail Bar, Sauterelle Restaurant, luxury shops, and offices. A statue of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, was unveiled outside the building. The bronze used to cast it was sourced from enemy cannons captured during Wellington's continental campaigns.|
|:||City of London lockdown 2020 - Royal Exchange; architecture; Europe; United Kingdom; London; Cornhill; 1844; 19th Century; Sir William Tite; 3 people; incidental people; Copy space; general view; day; exterior; City of London; Lockdown 2020; deserted street; ghost town; visitor attraction; landmark; Covid 19; pandemic; deserted city; Threadneedle Street; sunlit; clear sky; neo classic; column; traditional; high-rise; Bishopsgate 22; juxtaposition; intersection|